Washington County is home to a myriad of active-adult communities. And why not? The climate is mild, there is no end to outdoor recreation, and it's an affordable city in which to retire. But is an age-restricted community right for you? Let's look at a few pros and cons:
1) Activities - Many active adult communities host a variety of activities in a relatively safe environment, offering opportunities for social engagement and the ability to pursue hobbies. Here in Washington County, the amenities differ with each community but can include the use of a clubhouse, golf course, pool, spa, tennis courts, and more.
2) Your neighbors can relate - In a 55+ community, you are surrounded by others who are living a similar stage of life.
3) No more yard work - Exterior maintenance is often included in the HOA.
1) Rules and regulations - Residents must follow the community rules. What if you aren't allowed to hang Christmas lights or park in front of your home? These are regulations you'll want to check into.
2) Harder to sell - Limited market if you need to sell down the road because only buyers who meet the age requirement can purchase.
3) Fees - Most active adult communities have an HOA, which means a monthly HOA fee.
It really depends on what is important to you in a retirement community. When you figure that out, I'd love to help you find your dream home - whether it's located in a 55+ community or otherwise!