We live in a DIY world. Many are taking on home selling as a DIY project to save money. According to the National Association of Realtors, 8% of home sales in 2015 were for sale by owner (FSBO). But in that same study, FSBO homes were sold for an average of $39,000 less than agent-assisted home sales. Clearly, it is worth paying an agent to sell or buy a home.
There are many reasons to enlist the help and experience of a real estate agent. Do you know what an agent can do for you?
If you are looking to buy a property, a good real estate agent can:
- Access the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) to view all the homes available on the market.
- Network with other agents to find a home that best matches your criteria.
- Handle all negotiating and be there to clarify and advise throughout the home-buying process.
- Attend the home inspection and be there with you when the loan closes.
If you are looking to sell a property, a good real estate agent can:
- Establish how much your home is worth so that it's priced properly.
- Advise how best to showcase your home to potential buyers to help you receive the maximum sale price.
- Market your property through various channels and/or arrange an open house.
- Network with other agents to find a buyer.
- Handle all negotiations with the buyer so that you don't have to go through the hassle.
Your home is likely one of the most equitable purchases you will ever make. Hiring a real estate agent can take the headache and guesswork out of this important transaction so that you can be sure things will go as smoothly as possible.